FIRST DUI OFFENSE PENALTIES
For many whom receive a DUI, it is their first trouble with the law. It is important to be aware that a DUI is not a simple traffic infraction (e.g., speeding, running a red light, etc.). DUI is a criminal conviction and the penalties for even a 1st offense can be harsh. For a misdemeanor offense not involving injury, the statutory minimum penalties for a first offense DUI in Los Angeles include:
- Summary probation for 3 years;
No minimum jail sentence, maximum 6 months county jail;
Fine $390 + penalty assessments – approximately $2,000 (or converted to 3 days jail, 3 days community labor, or 30 hours community service);
3 month alcohol education program (AB541);
Mandatory court fees approximately $300 (varies by courthouse);
Driver's license suspension of 6 to 10 months, with eligibility for a restricted license after completion of a 30 day administrative suspension (ignition interlock device required in Los Angeles County). If you are under 21 years old, the driver's license suspension will be 12 months.
ADDITIONAL DUI PROBATION TERMS
However, there are many situations where the prosecutor or court will seek penalties in addition to the minimum ones listed above. Additional penalties for a first DUI offense in Los Angeles include:
- a 6 month alcohol program (SB762) if blood alcohol level is between .15 to .19;
- a 9 month alcohol program (AB1353) if blood alcohol level is .20 or greater or if driver refused to submit to test;
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) – 1 day class;
- Hospital & Morgue Program (HAM) – 1 day and a half class;
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings (in addition to what is ordered by alcohol program);
- Jail – if aggravating factors present, for example an accident or very high BAC test result;
- Community Labor, Cal Trans, or Community Service hours.
CONTACT A LOS ANGELES DUI LAWYER
If you have been arrested for DUI in Los Angeles it is best to seek representation of an experienced DUI lawyer, even if this is your first offense. Berglund Law Office, P.C. specializes in representing individuals facing DUI charges. DUI lawyer Robert D. Berglund works tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for his clients, including avoiding the additional penalties that the courts and prosecutors frequently seek to impose. If you have been arrested for DUI in Los Angeles, call our office today at (877) 203-4377 or submit our CONTACT form.